Yoga at The Forge is new to our curriculum!
We decided to incorporate yoga into our timetable as it offers a so many benefits to all. If you are a martial artist you may even find a number of these are transferable to your martial arts!
Firstly I would like to dispel a few myths!
- You don’t have to be bendy and super flexible to practise yoga!
- We don’t sit around and chant ‘OM’ for hours (although this can be a part of your practise if you would like to experience it)!
- Not all yoga postures are impossible and turn you into a human pretzel! There are a number of modifications that will still give you the same benefits.
- Men don’t do yoga ……. Check your history books as yoga was founded by men.
- You can’t practise yoga if you suffer from an injury or chronic pain…. News flash this is exactly why you should do yoga.
So what will you gain from attending yoga..
- You will learn to stretch your muscles and be guided by the teacher on how best to do this for your own body. This is not generic stretching warm up where you quickly flex and extend a few muscles before jumping into a sparring session. Allowing yourself time to stretch properly will help you identify areas of tightness and stress so that you can work on them more productively.
- You will develop a better understanding of your breath and the multitude of ways this can assist you in everyday life. Your breath is your life force and learning to control is so important.
- You will have fun! We are a laid back group who like to challenge what our bodies can do and have a good old laugh about it when we fall over.